Instagram Feed

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Book Thoughts: Guitar Notes

“Maybe it explains the reason why one person likes another. It's because their souls 
both thrum at the same frequency.”





Summary:

On odd days, loner Tripp Broody uses a practice room to let loose on the guitar he’s borrowed from the school after his mom took his own away. One even days, Lyla Marks uses the same practice room. To Tripp, she’s trying to become even more perfect–she’s already a straight-A student and an award-winning cellist. But when Lyla begins leaving notes for him in between the strings of his guitar, his life intersects with hers in a way he never expected. Challenging each other to write songs, they begin to connect, even though circumstances threaten to tear them apart.



- - - - -


An unlikely friendship between two people from different sides of the spectrum who found each other through music. Tripp, the outcast guitar player, and Lyla the straight-A student cellist. Two teenagers with issues of their own. Familiar? Definitely. It’s just like other YA books. But this one is the same yet different. Ever got the feeling that something is special but you just couldn’t put it into words? It's one of those. It simply is special.

This book is light and easy to read. The story is real and relatable. It’s hard not to want to finish once you started reading it. And after you're done? You would probably want more.

I especially loved Tripp’s passion for music, for his guitar. (I wish I could have had more of that in me. I am a frustrated musician who tried learning the piano and the guitar but never got that good at it.) He is one weird guy which fitted his somewhat nickname: odd (in a good kind of way).

Lyla, on the other hand, is one sweet girl you want to hug and say "be brave and have courage." There was so much pressure around her that it affected her passion for music. Add her best friend, who sometimes acts as the author of Lyla’s life which was at times annoying. (Oh Annie, could you just stop for even just a second?)

I loved the story.
The picture of the notes also added a lot more. It made it seemed real. I wanted more of this. I really enjoyed Tripp and Lyla’s interaction through notes. That was probably my favorite part (aside from the music, of course). I adored both of them; their friendship. I felt for all the emotions and things they experienced. I was moved. I cried, dear me, I couldn’t help it.

The book reminded me of how I and my love found a common ground through music. On how we shared each other’s knowledge and echoed our enthusiasm. My love for music was intensified by reading this book. I wanted to seriously finish the song I was trying to write for quite some time now.

Thank you for awakening the love and passion for music of each and every music lover who has read this, Ms. Amato. Go check Thrum Society, fellow readers.

Are you a music lover too? Are there any books that include music you want to recommend? Comment down below.

- - - - -

My Guitar Notes Playlist:



No comments:

Post a Comment