Instagram Feed

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Endings in Books






***Spoiler alert****
These are all endings so if you don't want to know, stop reading right now.


Heartbreaking
 Why did they have to be gone? Book endings that made me tear up and really made me sad.



The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
"...She is so beautiful. You don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: you know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers."
(Augustus' letter to Vanhouten about Hazel is heartbreaking.)


Things I know about Love, Kate Le Vann - 
"I talk to Livia at night when I’m lying in bed, and I think I almost believe she can hear me. I’m careful about what I say, anyway, and I try not to cry when I remind her that she left me at the worst possible time because I knew her enough to know I was completely in love with her, but she didn’t leave me with enough memories. I’m scared of using up the few I have and turning them into memories of memories, like songs you loved that you feel just a bit less excited by each time. And I hear my little pretend Livia, close to my ear, saying, “It really happened, Adam. I was here, and I loved you, too.”" 
(Awww. Adam.)

Beyond Reach, Karin Slaughter
"His body relaxed. The blood stopped spurting from his shoulder…   …She lifted Jeffrey up, holding him in her arms, refusing to let them near. She held on to him like this, keening like a child, until her mother came and made Sara let them take him away."
 (Oh Jeffrey, why did you have to die?)

Quotable quotes/Favorite last few lines
It didn't simply end beautifully, the last few lines added a bit more kick.


Where She Went, Gayle Forman 
"...And then I start singing the chorus. Right to her. And she smiles at me, and it's like we're the only two people out here, the only ones who know what's happening. Which is that this song we're all singing together is being rewritten. It's no longer an angry plea shouted to the void. Right here, on this stage, in front of eighty thousand people, it's becoming something else. This is our new vow."

Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins
"Because I was right. For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It’s a person. And we’re finally home."
 (Oh Anna and Etienne! A perfect quote for your love story.)

The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen
"That was the thing. You just never knew. Forever was so many different things. It was always changing,  it was what everything was really all about. It was twenty minutes or a hundred years, or just this instant or any instant I wish would last and last. But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now." 
(I just so loved the quote about forever.) 

Catching Jordan, Miranda Keneally
"Dad told me that even if you're meant to be with someone, that doesn't mean you necessarily get to be with them. But Sometimes? maybe you do. 
I guess we'll find out."

 Wanderlove, Kirsten Hubbard
"I can wait until tomorrow to call my college, where I'll probably be sleeping on a cot in the basement, but at this point, I don't care. When you fall for a guy like Rowan, nothing's certain. But I'm pretty sure we've found the antidote to Wanderlove: each other."
 
Perfect Ending
Like a frosting on a cake.

Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, Morgan Matson 
Philly’s Best Cheesesteak! in Philadelphia receipt. 
(It’s like an unwritten epilogue!)


Cliffhanger 
Can't we get any more excited for the next book?

Just One Day, Gayle Forman
""Hi Willem," I say. "My name is Allyson." 
He says nothing in response. He just stays there for a minute, looking at me. And then he steps to the side, opens the door wider, wide enough for me to walk through.
And so I do."
(Oh, this ending. Why did it have to end on such a cliffhanger? It's like I want the sequel now.)

8 comments:

  1. The ending of Just One Day has me so anxious for Just One Year, I love The Truth About Forever, and I really want to read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour now because of that cute ending! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/07/29/lines/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put THE FAULT IN OUR STARS on my list too. I just reread the ending before writing my post and starting crying again. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote you picked out of Anna and the French Kiss; I never really thought about it until now!!!! It's so sweet!

    Thanks for a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had TFIOS too! Well to be honest I chose both beginning AND the ending. I just adore that book. :) Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fault in Our Stars is a perfect, and probably common, pick. I loved that it was not unrealistically happy, but that it did leave readers with a bit of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with you about Anna and the French Kiss - it made my list too. All the rest, I havent read so I didnt read your thoughts on them, lol.
    Great list!

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also can't get enough of the last paragraph in The Truth About Forever. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic list! Love it!

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete